This is my dad’s recipe. He makes it oh so much better, but I’m slowly learning! Eaten with a little vanilla ice cream on the side = heaven.
2lbs (5 1/2 cups) apples – Mac, Cortland, or anything suitable for baking, chopped up
water to sprinkle on the cut apples
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter (room temperature)
3/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup quick cook oatmeal
1. Chop apples, put in casserole dish and sprinkle with water.
2. Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
3. Cut in the butter to the dry ingredient to make the topping.
4. Pour the topping loosely on top of apples.
5. Bake at 350°F covered for 30 min. then another 30 min. uncovered (if you make 2 little pans instead of 1 big one, cut down cooking time a few minutes).